WorkInTexas.com offers job seekers immediate and continuous access to job matching services. Even when job seekers are not logged on, WorkInTexas.com continues to match job openings with qualified job seekers and generates notices to alert them to potential job opportunities. Job seekers can also browse thousands of job postings, including all Texas state agency jobs, refer themselves to open positions, complete résumés and/or state applications and maintain them online.
Top Tips for Using WorkInTexas.com
- WorkInTexas.com will only match salaries that are equal to or above what you list
- If an employer lists a salary as $8 plus DOE, the program will recognize the $8
- Lower your salary expectations to “ANY” in order to increase your matches
Temp Work is Good Work
Many businesses are using temp workers more often. This allows them to get to know a job seeker better and observe the job seeker’s skills and abilities. Always check the box saying you will accept temporary work.
Location, Location, Location
- Select region and area; you can also use Zip Code plus a specific mile radius
- Jobs will match to only veterans for the first two days jobs are listed in WorkInTexas.com
- Be sure to mark the Veteran box, if you are a qualified veteran
- After the first two days, all Jobs are available to the general public
Build a Solid Resume
- Focus on transferable skills
- Job matches are based on “Occupations” not work history
- Work History should be complete
- SSN is not required unless you are filing for unemployment insurance or benefits such as TANF and Food stamps
Preview your Resume like an Employer
- Employers can view resumes at any time
- Double-check grammar and spelling
- Complete each section (No blanks)
- List important, transferable skills
- **EEOC data is not available to employer**
Get more help with your resume and tips for writing a great resume on our resume assistance page.
Spend Hours, not Minutes
- Building a good profile is the key to a successful job match
- Plan on spending a couple of hours to develop a solid resume
- Review, update, and make adjustments to your resume frequently
- Too often job seekers breeze through the resume process and go straight to job matching
- Jobs are posted almost daily
- Always login when searching
- After 30 days accounts become inactive–This means no job matches
Many job matches require you to contact your local Workforce Solutions Office. When applying for jobs (whether you call or inquire in-person), be professional. Dress and behave like you are being interviewed – because you are.
See our top 10 tips for a successful interview on our interview tips page.